Saturday, April 6, 2013

Opening this Weekend (4/5 - 4/7)

Yeah, I pretty much had the same exact reaction to the Kevin Ware injury
Opening - Evil Dead, Trance (limited release), Upstream Color (limited release)

Googan suggestion for the weekend - I will be enjoying the ultimate white people problem of deciding whether to watch Game of Thrones or Mad Men first.  Oh the trials and tribulations of privileged adulthood. *sips overpriced microbrew*


Evil Dead
Hey little girl, Kurt Thomas called, he wants his eyes back
Synopsis - "Mia, a young woman struggling with sobriety, heads to a remote cabin with her brother and a group of friends, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads to danger and horror."  (Want to know how to avoid these situations?  Don't f*cking open a book called "The Book of the Dead" -ed.)

Metascore - 58

Thoughts - I have zero attachment to the Sam Raimi original Evil Dead, so I'm pretty ambivalent on this movie.  But I've heard it's a super gore-fest, so if you're weirdo and that's your thing, well, here you ago.  Outside of the comically absurd  (eg South Park) I really don't get the attraction of gore.  It just seems... I don't know, just weird really.

Goddamn it, I'm sounding like my Dad.  Next movie.


Trance
As it's well known, Vincent Cassel is one of the biggest supporters of James Franco's invisible art movement
Synopsis - "An art auctioneer, mixed up with a group of criminals, partners with a hypnotherapist in order to recover a lost painting."

Metascore - 61

Thoughts - So I just went through Danny Boyle's IMDB list and realized I don't really like any of his movies.  I mean I guess I appreciate Trainspotting and 28 Days Later for what they are, but beyond that, can't say I'm super impressed.  Or maybe it's just my disdain for Slumdog Millionaire that's biasing my opinion.  Yeah, that's probably it.


Upstream Color
Ahh, the old reverse spooning in the bathtub maneuver.  Nice one, bro.
Synopsis - "A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the life cycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives."

Metascore - 78

Thoughts - From everything I've heard about this movie, pretty much no one really knows what it's it about, let alone knows how to interpret it, but yet still really likes it.  I mean, just read that synopsis again.  I'd like to give that a good ol' fashioned "WTF??"  But it's definitely intriguing.  And this comes from the mind of Shane Carruth, the fellow who pretty much single-handedly created Primer, which is considered by many to be one of the biggest mind-f*cks of a time-travel movie ever made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment